Wednesday, January 6, 2010

OMG

Today's Morning Weight: 252.8
Spanx Size: E
Days Left of Phase 1: 11

The theme for today: OMG. Apparently the scale wins. I surrender. And gladly. Almost eight pounds since Monday?!? OMG.

Today started late for me. Due to a sick child in the middle of the night, Matt let me sleep until 10:30 this morning. I awoke, fixed breakfast, and then we all went for groceries. After shopping, the kids and Matt got some food at McDonald's. OMG. Those fries smelled so good. Leaving the drive thru, I had to roll the window down to get the smell away. When we got home, I hid in the bedroom until everyone was done eating. SO MUCH TEMPTATION! My mind kept running over the options again and again. What would one fry hurt? and Just a bite isn't really going to deter my diet. and Oops. Some ranch got on my finger; I could just lick that off. (French fries are eaten with ranch in my house.)

Did you know that McDonald's coats their fries in sugar to get that golden brown color achieved when fried? Did you also know that McDonald's includes a "natural" flavor to their fries that is derived from beef? In doing so, they have made 1) their fries very addicting; and 2) the consumer to desire a hamburger after consuming some fries. That same beef flavor - also contained in their chicken nuggets. What is that all about?

And parents across the nation have been feeding these things to their children since the 1960s. When children's taste buds are developing, we hand them their happy meal and say, "Here. Eat this sugar-loaded carton of greasy french fries. Not only are they addicting, but they're in a fun box, advertised by a circus clown, and accompanied by a surprise toy! We reward your gluttony with this toy!" So then the kid attributes happy and rewarding memories to those fries, and, as an adult, every time they smell those same fries, their brain reaches back to happy childhood memories and they succumb. But today, I was not one who succumbed! No; instead, I watched episodes of Gossip Girl on Youtube and prayed for my turn in the kitchen.

Since I didn't have breakfast until eleven, I skipped lunch. Meals today were good, but OMG - the evening dessert. I have never tasted anything so delectable in my entire life. Well, I'm sure that is not true, but in the last three days? Nothing like this. The South Beach Peanut Butter Cup may have saved my life. With it, I know I will make it through. Matt asked if it was really diet food. When I said yes, he offered to only eat diet food for the rest of his life.

To make your own, take:
2 tbsp natural, sugar-free peanut butter
1 sugar-free fudgepop
2 tbsp fat-free frozen whipped topping
- Scrape the fudgepop off the stick into a bowl, mix with the peanut butter, and fold in the whipped topping. Enjoy the OMG yumminess. We did.
Email me at queenshamlet@live.com for any other recipes you find intriguing.

2 comments:

  1. By next week you will be so disgusted by that kind of food, promise. When I was in Phase 2, I went to the movies with my mom and your mom. I drank a bottle of water and snacked on almonds. They had movie popcorn, soda, and every kind of delicious candy you could imagine. At that point, I didn't even want a bite b/c it felt so good to be healthy and when you can say I haven't cheated a single bite you feel amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to the movies on Tuesday and I took a bowl of celery, a wedge of laughing cow cheese, and a cup of sugar-free jello. I was so proud of myself!

    When we were getting up to leave, I realized the people next to us left a full bucket of popcorn. Seeing it sitting there was so tempting. I had wanted it when I walked in, but didn't even think twice about it until I saw a bucket sitting next to me. The whole way out of the theater, I kept telling myself, "I do NOT need to buy popcorn. I do NOT need to buy popcorn." I was so glad when we got to the car.

    ReplyDelete