Sunday, January 17, 2010

End of Phase 1


Today's Starting Weight: 248.2
Weight at the Beginning of Phase 1: 261.2
Total Weight Lost: 13 pounds
Spanx Size: E
End of Phase 1: TODAY!!!

Being that I am at the end of Phase 1 and tomorrow begins a new love affair with fruit, I ventured out to Walmart after work tonight for blueberries & raspberries. Now, before you judge my choice of market, please understand there are only about four stores in Joplin from which to buy produce. Most times, Walmart is the way to go for fruit. Today they were having some major fruit issues, though. The entire banana stand was empty save for a make-shift sign reading, We are temporarily out of stock. Most of the strawberries were more green than red, and the cherries were carelessly, and, I dare say, a bit abusively, shoved into their place.

However, I got really excited when I saw the crate of blueberries. Pint upon pint were stacked. I giggled a little too insanely and a little too loudly (a girl gave me a funny look and quickly walked away) and started anxiously chewing on my fingernail. It was like waiting to be kissed for the first time - I'm not even kidding.

I picked up a pint to inspect, and was disappointed to find smooshed, wrinkled blueberries on the bottom. That just would not do. I picked up another pint and found mold. I chose another carton that looked fine, but when I opened the lid to inspect further, I found a huge mold growth hiding under the label. Carton by carton, pint by pint, I inspected and found mold.

The problem with this is if one blueberry has mold, you can bet your life's earnings the rest will have mold tomorrow and safely win that bet. There were probably forty cartons of blueberries. I inspected them all; and they all had mold. When I asked the produce kid what the probability was of there being mold-free blueberries hidden somewhere in the back, he gave me the same look as the fleeting girl and said, "Ma'am, we don't hide blueberries in the back." First of all, when did I become a Ma'am, and second of all, why don't you hide blueberries in the back? It's not that insane of an idea. I would. You know... so the customers would buy the older blueberries first, of course.

So tomorrow was going to be celebrated with a bowl of mixed raspberries and blueberries. Walmart was devoid of raspberries and only carried molded blueberries. And by the time I had finished searching the crate of blueberries, I was too tired to begin my search at another store. I guess my celebratory fruit will have to be served another day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that is alot of thought about fruit.....Beleive it or not it has almost been a year since I have touched my Blog if you look at mine..it was Russ's birthday post!! Well since his birthday is Wednesday...hummm maybe a good day to post again. I am proud of you and your determination to be healthier. Weight loss is a plus but a healthier lifestyle is the the best. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete